Monday, September 16, 2013

There was a veggie girl....

... there was a bakery boy.  We met in January 1985 working food service. I was a new student employee.  He was a third year student employee.  I saw him pass by pushing a cart of desserts.  I thought at the time he was short, fat, and bald.  He was none of those things.  He had lost a bet with his roommates and had to shave his head.  He was bent over the cart which accounted for the inaccurate short part.  But the fat part I have no clue. It was a funny first impression.  And then he came over and put his arm around my shoulder.....errrrrtttttt................ correction...he put his arm around my waist  and said, "I try to meet all the new employees." That was his pick-up line. He always makes sure I state the arm placement correctly...because after all it made all the difference in whether I would date him or not, right?  In a very short time we were dating and three months later he asked me to marry him. 

We've been married 27 years and have five sons, two daughter-in-laws, and our first grandson on the way.  We are a military family.  We have survived job loss, financial distress, deployment, very sick children, and several moves. We supported each other as we finished college; he in forestry and myself in education. We've been fortunate to travel. I homeschooled the boys at one point or another until high school.  We love biking, gardening, music, food, and cocktails.  I am an artist and free-lance writer. He is a full-time soldier who is passionate about nature and trees. Most importantly we are faith-filled best friends who try to live with each day purpose passionately through our faith.

There are days we may not leave the house but our lives are still full of amazing adventures...... The Adventures of Veggie Girl and Bakery Boy.....

God Bless
love,
Monica






No comments:

Post a Comment