Thursday, May 22, 2014

Meet me... and www.charlieathehill.wordpress.com

I have dyed my hair purple twice...love it
I became Catholic five years ago....favorite selfie
Team Pugh University 2013...we are currently gearing up for 2014


So I was asked by my dear talented childhood friend, Kelli, to answer these four questions and pass on the blogging to other friends - all of us answering the same four questions. 
Her positive outlook and fearless attitude amidst her every day fears is very inspiring..and her artwork is amazing and unique and all hers. www.heresanotherwayoflookingatit.blogspot.com 

So here is my list of questions to answer and pass on.
Then I will have some friends of mine do the same. Answer 4 questions and pass it on the blog wave.

I love having a blog to put my thoughts somewhere...even if no one ever reads them. I like having them written down and out of my head. I love to go back and see how I was thinking and how I've grown. I used to journal..I still love love love paper and pencil..Dixon Ticonderoga number two pencils to be exact. Notes to self.....

Question 1. What are you currently working on? I love to create with my hands. It might be typing words..redesigning a dress...or making a delicious bite to eat. I usually do all of those in one day. I am currently writing most of the time for a local publication called Winterset Living. I write four columns for them. I am also writing an inspirational book...about my five sons, my husband..our lives.... And when I feel inspired, I write on my blog. I am altering and redesigning quite a few clothing items...as my business is Five Sons Design. I get a call almost every day for some sort of alteration or redesign. I started college in apparel design and then changed my mind and got my degree in elementary education. But instead of teaching....I started doing alterations... go figure. 

Question 2. How does your work differ from others in its genre? The only thing I can think here..in regards to custom sewing and alterations..is to be fearless. I can never be afraid to fit a dress..take it apart..and make it fit. I get garment construction. I can make something without a pattern or with a pattern. I love love love costumes! Sometimes things perplex me. But I am fearless when it comes to fixing a dress for a special moment. I am currently making a pair of pants taking the pattern from the old pair of pants...and redesigning my daughter-in-law's bridesmaid dress into a maternity bridesmaid dress for an upcoming wedding. When it comes to writing..I have a lot to learn in regards to being fearless. I need lots of reassurance. But hoping with all my heart and mind my book will be published one day and by then, hopefully,I won't care what anyone thinks about my words. But I will just be happy with the fact that I was fearless and put myself out there.

Question 3. Why do you write/create what you do? I can't imagine not working with my hands in some capacity. I have always had that gift..I've done it all..jewelry, basketry (I spent many years and traveled a lot to learn the art), knitting, sewing, painting, drawing, clay.... you name it I will give it a try. I also make rosaries....just because and give them away. Every day I look for something to make with my hands.

Question 4. How does your creating/process work? I find inspiration when I am in quiet and listen very closely to my thoughts. This happens often on my bike (I ride a lot in all the gear..long distances on a road bike). If I don't write when the thoughts hit, the words go away. So I pay close attention and have learned a lot from losing many words I wish I had written. Sometimes they come back when I get on my bike and ride and listen to nature. When I am sewing or redesigning I spend time visualizing what I am going to do. I fit a garment, write notes, and then sleep on it and try to visualize doing it. Sometimes I can't see the process until I start to sew and alter. But usually shortly after I start I see what needs to happen. Every other medium I use...I use when I feel inspired or I am in need of something. People ask..I get it created.

Now is when I post about another blog.....

I met Charlotte McCullough when she moved to Winterset with her husband. Her husband was the vocal instructor at Winterset High School and my two oldest sons were in choir. I was also a substitute teacher at the time and subbed in Charlotte's math class a couple of times. But they moved.. :( Aaron went back to school and actually attended college with my oldest son for a time. And then they went to Ohio. We have reconnected over Facebook and I have been blessed to watch their children grow and read Charlotte's blog. She is real. And she blogs about real things. She is a mom of three young kids. She loves math. We were able to meet up in person over last Christmas. Enjoy her blog......

www.charlieatthehill.wordpress.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment