Wednesday, April 16, 2014

He loves the little fishies

Bakery Boy loves sushi. I recently posted something on Facebook about this and his sister commented, "My brother eats sushi?" Yep. I posted about his picky eating a few blogs posts ago. He doesn't just eat sushi, he actually craves sushi. He always liked shrimp...he would eat fish we caught...but he's pretty happy now with lots of things that swim. I have always liked to eat fish and swimmy things of all types. Growing up my fave was a McDonald's fish sandwich. Gross to some, maybe, but I loved them. Having to be gluten free forces me to make my own version which is tastier to my adult taste buds. I am also a fan of sardines...yep.

Bakery Boy is also a revert Catholic and I am a convert. So for the last five years we have been eating more and more fish types during Lent. In fact, last year we gave up red meat for Lent. So maybe this is how his love for sushi grew..I'm not sure. I am sure that sometimes I find myself wondering who this husband of mine has turned into.... never say never will always be my motto.

I have a new favorite this Lent.... crab cakes! We usually make a Costco run at the beginning of Lent to check out their fish varieties for the season. I heard Bakery Boy say he wanted some clams....that is the most unusual request coming from him. I picked up some lump crab meat. Pricey...but we decided to try it one time. Our favorite is their fresh cod fillets. And then my husband said he had calamari while he was in Georgia... so we found a frozen pack of scallops, calamari, little neck clams, and shrimp. I also purchased a large bag of langostino lobster tails. Also pricey but one bag makes four meals..and then it's not so pricey. We love fresh seafood. It is pricey...and I like a deal. Frozen provides that deal for six weeks of Lent.

My gluten free crab cakes

16 oz lump crab meat....not the fake stuff
1 beaten egg...we get ours from a farmer
2 TBSP mayonnaise - I use Hellman's..it is gluten free
1 TBSP prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp Old Bay seafood seasoning
1/2 tsp lemon juice
optional hot sauce to taste..we love Siracha
3/4 gluten free Panko bread crumbs


Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl except for crab and bread crumbs. Fold in crab and bread crumbs. Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. I use olive oil and a small pat of butter. Pat crab cakes into small patties. Fry until golden flipping once. Serve warm. This recipe makes around a dozen cakes depending on the size.

crab cakes with chive mayo
These cakes taste great alone...they have a sweetness that is simply delicious. They would pair well with a chardonnay or pinot grigio. I like to make a sauce..this one is mayo, Angostura bitters, red wine vinegar, and chives...but dill would also highly compliment the sweetness of the crab. I'm serving them on Easter Sunday as an appetizer before dinner...bite size.

lobster rolls....recipe being perfected...however, these were delish just a little too runny on the sauce...I'll share soon as I have enough frozen little tails for another recipe....these were great with a beer.

Friday I will be making a coconut milk based soup with the frozen clams, etc. If it turns out, I'll take a picture and share. I know there are concerns with fish these days..mercury, radioactive fallout.... We eat it in moderation but I just can't and choose not to walk around being scared about everything. I eat healthy, unprocessed food..besides chips..and I'm just choosing to be okay with it all. That being said..pregnant women are supposed to watch the amount of fish meals they eat per week. We are typically eating only one pwe week. 

It's been a wonderful Lent so far and the Triduum is now upon us Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Vigil... Happy Blessed Easter!

Love,
Veggie Girl




No comments:

Post a Comment